A dental hygienist will perform a prophylaxis also known as a teeth cleaning. This involves removing the tartar that develops in areas difficult to reach with routine daily brushing.
During the cleaning process various instruments are used to perform tooth scaling, tooth polishing and debridement (removal of plaque and calculus that have accumulated on the teeth). These procedures remove hard and soft deposits which aid in the prevention of gum disease and cavities.
Why regular dental cleanings are important:
- Help prevent bad breath
- Maintain a bright and white smile
- Aid in the prevention of gum disease
- Detect dental problems early
- Aid in the detection of oral cancer
- Maintain good physical health